Life: My first year at university - a round up

Hello everyone! 
I cannot believe that we are already in the month of June, how crazy is that?! What's even crazier is that I have already finished my first year at university, and my God what a whirlwind my life has been since September. Today  thought I would talk about my experiences and how I got on for those of you who are off to uni, thinking of applying or are in the same boat. I have to say that I have enjoyed it so much and I am so glad that I decided to go, however I know that university is not for a lot of people, so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt and make sure you do your research if you're thinking of applying.

Bournemouth
So I am studying communication and media at Bournemouth University. I first visited Bournemouth almost two years ago whilst I was studying for my A levels on an open day - these are a great way to experience the university and what life will be like there! Strangely enough, this was the very first university I had visited and in all honesty I expected to just get an idea of what university was all about. However, in a strange twist (of fate?) I absolutely fell in love with the area and am to this day still so happy that I picked it. Bournemouth for those of you that don't know is a coastal town in the south west of england. One of the main things that attracted me to this town was the gorgeous beaches which were within walking distance, as I absolutely love being by the sea. The town also has a great night life as well as lots of different places to eat and music venues and shops to keep us entertained, so I knew i could settle in here great!





 The Course
I have always loved media studies since I first took it in year ten and I knew that I wanted to carry it on at university and make a career out of it one day. So far I have found the course really great. I have come out with 2:1's in the majority of my assignments and I am really engaging with the content. We have covered topics such as Journalism, Film and advertising which I just find so interesting and I think that helps so much when completing my assignment, I have also made some really good friends on my course which is great as we support and help each other with assignments and exams. It was a bit more difficult to adjust to the independent learning style of university compared to A Levels, however I feel that it has been important in helping me to stand on my own two feet more, 


Accommodation
I have been so lucky with where I was staying during first years. When I think of halls of residence I generally think of dingy old rooms that are dated and worn out.. however mine were nothing like this at all. Dorchester House, where I was staying, was built in 2012, so it was only 3 years old when I moved in. It was modern and clean and well looked after. I also had an enuite bathroom and a double bed! Along with this I was sharing my flat with 3 other girls who have become some of my best friends (9 months in and there has still been no arguments, fabulous!). 
 





Overall my first year of university has been a blast and I would highly reccommend that anyone who is thinking about it should definitely look into it more and maybe even give it a go. I have learnt so many life, social and academic skills and I honestly can't wait for what is to come. Let me know in the comments your experiences of university, and feel free to ask me any questions :)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Bloglovin'.
Hope you all have a lovely rest of your day!
Love, Yasmin xxx



9 comments :

  1. It's nice to know that you love what you're doing and you're actually doing great during your first year in uni. I'm in my third year now and I'm quite having a hard time with my course but I can't complain though because I chose it and I love it. Btw, I'm taking up Dentistry. :) I'm happy for you and it's nice to see your blog. Hope we could keep in touch :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA // BORACAY Travel Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment! I can imagine how much harder it's going to get in second and third year but hopefully I will be okay!xx

      Delete
  2. That looks like you really had a great experience. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Uni life in Germany is different to the UK (we rarely have dorms /shared uni apartments for example), but I really enjoyed my time there as well.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thats really strange, but it's good that you enjoyed uni!xx

      Delete
  3. The flat looks fab!! Lovely pictures

    Take care doll! Kisses,
    BLOG | TAISLANY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be off to university very soon and I'm very nervous / excited. Thanks for sharing this post. Loved reading it and I love the flat :)

    http://lifewithmins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I'm so excited for you. You could literally have one of the best years ever in your first year!xx

      Delete
  5. Your halls look amazing! I've sadly just finished university after studying English Literature. The last three years have definitely been intense and chaotic, but they were also incredible and I'm missing the whole experience already. I'm looking forward to starting the next chapter of my life though! It's great that you've got off to such a good start and hope you enjoy the rest of the course!

    ReplyDelete