5 GENIUS WAYS TO MAKE THE MOST OF SOCIAL MEDIA

Hello everyone!

It's no secret that social media is pretty much ruling the world right now. Personally I can't remember the last time that I didn't at least scroll through my social medias once in a day. Is that bad? Personally I don't think it is -whilst there are many down sides to this phenomenon (of which I'm not going to go into this blog post) - I think that the upsides are sky high and can create so many opportunities, friendships and skills along the way.

Today, I wanted to break down how social media can be beneficial to YOU by explaining what it's done for me, as a student, as a blogger and in my personal life. Let's begin!






Student life

So you're probably thinking - how on earth could social media help me as a student? If anything it's going to distract me from doing my work! But aaaah you will be sorely mistaken, as since I have come to university it has helped me immensely. 

 Finding friends - obviously, before I started university, I knew absolutely no one here. It was nerve wracking and scary. However, through the power of social media, I was able to search for and join many groups on Facebook which put me in contact with other freshers. I was even able to find my flat mates and before we even moved in, we were chatting away. This made the moving in experience much less daunting as we already knew a bit about each other and had something to talk about. (FYI over a year and a half later these girls are still my best friends). It also came in handy recently when looking for a new house mate to join us in our third year.









Aiding assigments - How many followers/ friends do you have across social media? I bet it's LOADS. Personally across mine it definitely racks up the high hundreds at least. When I had to conduct a study earlier this year for an assignment, I posted a survey on my social media platforms and got so many results. Later this year I will also use my social media to find people to interview for a feature I have to write for another assignment. So brilliantly simple!

Finding jobs - so this year, I have managed to secure work placements at 3 different magazines; Cosmopolitan, Fabulous and New. None of these I would have been able to get without twitter! For Fabulous, I tweeted their page asking who I could get in contact with to organise work experience. For New, I noticed on their twitter page that they were looking for people to do work experience, so I expressed my interest straight away. This is probably the most amazing scenario - with Cosmopolitan, I simply tweeted that I wanted some work experience with a magazine, and one of the lovely writers emailed me asking if I would like to complete some with them (I was so starstruck, I almost cried).

Blogging


1. Interacting with other bloggers
My Twitter and Instagram accounts feel like gorgeous little spaces that I can connect with like minded people. I don't know about you, but in real life, I don't really know that many people who get involved with blogging and this sort of thing and don't really have anyone to talk about it with. That's where I turn to my social media. I can find out what others are doing, get tips and tricks and talk about things that I really care about with people who  are interested too. Not to mention, every single day there are blogger chats to get involved with to help you interact with new people, find amazing blogs and even do a bit of self promo.


2. Promoting your posts
Soooo, you've put your heart and soul into a blog post and finally pressed publish. Now what? You want people to read it of course! And what better way than to share it on social media where it will be exposed to hundereds, if not thousands of people who want to read your content. To get it out there even more I use hashtags such as #Blogger #Thegirlgang and tag accounts who will retweet it for me. There are so many people out there willing to help each other out - one of the reasons I love it so much!

So, there we have it, some of the reasons why I love social media and why you should make the most of it too. I hope that this has been helpful!

Love, Yasmin xxx

Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin' | Pinterest

2 comments :

  1. That list of twitter chats is super helpful! I'm definitely gonna save it and use it, thanks for sharing! X

    Kate// itskaterose.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I'm looking to connect with other bloggers on Twitter so those hashtags will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete