TRAVEL GUIDE: UBUD, BALI, INDONESIA

Waterfall in Ubud Bali


Hi everyone, 

When I went backpacking last year, I spent a total of 5 weeks in Bali. It was the first place I went on my trip for 3 weeks and then I returned for a further two weeks towards the end of my trip, so it's safe to say I LOVE it there and think I can now give some of my favourite recommendations (and things to avoid for this place).

First up on my Itinerary after landing was Ubud. This is one of the most popular destinations in Bali. Situated on the northeast of the island, Ubud is a gorgeous town near lots of rice terraces, waterfalls, mountains and other natural beauties. I also found it was a great place to immerse myself in Indonesian Culture. 

Things to do

  • Watch a traditional Balinese dance at Ubud Palace

    This performance happens every evening at Ubud Palace and I would definitely recommend going to see it if you are interested in immersing yourself in a bit of Balinese culture. I would also recommend having a look around Ubud Palace during the day. Cost: Free


  • Tegallalang Rice Terrace

    This is one of the most popular attractions near Ubud. You will need to rent a moped(most affordable) or grab a taxi to the waterfall, but neither of these are very expensive. You can have a walk around all of the rice terraces, have lunch with a view at one of the cafes and (if you want) have a go on one of the many giant swings and take photos at a photo point (for a small extra cost, normally the equivalent of under £1).

    This is definitely the most touristy rice terrace, and I really enjoyed the time that I spent here, but I will also say that there are SO many rice terraces that you can wander around for free, especially if you rent a scooter and just have a little scoot around, or have a look on Google Maps. We personally did both and enjoyed each experience separately.


  • Tegenungan Waterfall

    Like the Tegallalang rice terrace, I would say that this is one of the more touristy natural beauty spots in Bali, but still definitely worth a little visit. They are in different directions, but I would perhaps incorporate this on the same day that you visit the rice terrace, as if you have rented a scooter or booked a taxi driver for the day, you can make the most of the rental. Again, like with the rice terraces, I would recommend going on Google maps and looking up more secluded waterfalls in addition to this one (we found the most beautiful waterfall with no one else there in the first image in this blog post !).  The more secluded ones are free whereas Tegungan incurs a small cost to enter.
  • Climb Mount Batur

    I think that if there is only one thing I would recommend doing during your stay in Ubud above all the others, is to book a tour to climb Mount Batur and watch the sunrise. If you are of moderate fitness, you will be able to do this hike. For this it is best to book it with a tour wh will pick you up from your accommodation at 2am and drive you to the base of the mountain, where you will get a hot drink and a banana pancake. After this, you will have the opportunity to use a toilet and get be introduced to your guide who will provide you with a torch, and you will proceed to climb the mountain in time for the sunrise. It's honestly one of the most insane experiences I have ever had, and I was lucky enough to do it twice, both with relatively clear days so that I could watch the sun physically rise. Definitely worth the early start!!


  • Campuhan ridge walk

    This is a gorgeous little hike that you can do one morning. it's not difficult at all but has some fantastic views of the jungle around Ubud. Once you get to the end of the trail there is a cafe with a bathroom and you can enjoy a nice cool drink and a snack.


  • Goa Gajah

    An amazing temple to wander around in a beautiful location.

Places to eat

I was quite bad at taking down the names of the restaurants that I ate in, but these were the ones that I remember and did such nice food. Ubud (like most of Bali) is an amazing place for vegetarians to eat 

  • Veggie Karma buffet
    An all veggie buffet with some delicious traditions Indonesian food!

 

  • Clear Cafe
    One of the most beautiful restaurants with stunning decor and amazing food. A little more on the pricey side but is such a nice place if you want to go somewhere for more of a dressed-up/ nice meal.

  • Divya Bar
    A bar right in the centre of Ubud that has a balcony and is a great place to people watch with a Bintang!

  • Lazy Cats
    Another vegetarian cafe right in the centre of Ubud which does amazing food and has such a cosy vibe.

Thank you for reading this blog post! I know that right now, we aren't really able to travel but I hope that this series will give you some inspiration for when we are allowed! It's been really nice, almost a year later to look back on this and reflect on what I did!

1 comment :